Types of Accommodation

Living with a Host Family

 Many universities, colleges, and language schools provide host family services. The student will have to inform the accommodation services of where they are studying if they wish to live with a host family. The accommodation services will then find a host family for the student. In many cases the student can express their wishes regarding their living conditions, such as no pets or the provision of halal food. This, of course, will depend on availability.

Students should note that in Dublin most families live in suburbs outside the city centre. These suburbs can be some distance from their place of study. Students in host families will, therefore, have to take means of transportation to and from their place of study into account.

Living on Campus

Many universities and colleges have campus accommodation. This usually comprises shared accommodation. The student will have their own private en-suite bedroom with their own personal key. They will then share the kitchen and living room with up to four other students. If the student is interested in living on campus, he/she should contact the accommodation services at his/her place of study to find out about availability.

Living in an Apartment

A student may decide to live in an apartment, either alone or with friends or family. Apartment hunting can be very time consuming so sometimes it is a good idea to start looking at availability before you arrive. Appointments to view apartments are usually made on line or through letting agencies. Very useful accommodation websites are as follows:


If you decide to rent an apartment, there are certain things you will need to be aware of. Please ask yourself the following questions before you decide to rent:

-  Is it a safe area to live?
-  Is it accessible to your place of study? What are the transport links? Are there amenities nearby?
-  Are the specifications (the furniture, furnishings, and appliances) the same as advertised on the website?
-  Is it clean and in good condition?
-  Is there internet access?

You will be solely responsible for knowing the rules and regulations when renting an apartment. You will also be solely responsible for all the legal obligations when signing the contract with the landlord/landlady. You must comply with all the terms and conditions of the contract. Always read the contract very carefully before you sign it. If there is anything you do not understand, ask for it to be explained fully. You will want to avoid lawsuits that might arise out of non-compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract. The terms and conditions of the contract may include things like:

-   No subletting;
-   No pets;
-   No smoking;
-   The renewal date of the contract;
-   The termination date of the contract;
-   Amount and method of payment.
Rent is paid a month in advance, so the landlord/landlady will ask for a month’s rent in advance as well as another month as a deposit. So expect to pay two month’s rent when you secure your apartment. In some cases students can be asked for three months in advance (two month’s rent and one month for deposit). The deposit will be refunded to the student when the contract has been terminated as long as the apartment is handed back to the landlord/landlady exactly as it was when the student moved in. The student must notify the landlord/landlady prior to terminating the contract in order to be able to get the refund of the deposit. You will have to get proof of your monthly rental payment either through direct debit or when paying by cash the student must sign what is called a ‘rent book’. If you find that anything is missing or not working in your apartment, you should contact your landlord/landlady. (S)he is the one who is responsible for fixing or replacing items in the apartment. For further information on renting private accommodation please see the following link: